Manchester gets £6m in health funds following terror attack

29 Jan 18

Whitehall has agreed to give Manchester an extra £6m in health service funding following last May’s terrorist attack.

The government will provide an additional £4.1m for the NHS and more than £2m for mental health support in Greater Manchester following the attack on the Manchester Arena in which 22 people lost their lives.

This brings total government support for Manchester to £24m. The package includes over £9m for policing, £451,000 for social care costs and £2.6m for a mental health hub, in addition to £53,800 for psychological support. It also includes £1m to support the work of the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, an £80,000 hardship fund for small businesses affected by the attack and full coroner and inquest costs.

Prime minister Theresa May said: “We were clear immediately following the attack, just as we are now, that the government will do everything it can to respond to the needs of victims of terror.

“That is why we have ensured that resources will be available to support victims as they continue to rebuild their lives, and to meet the costs placed on Manchester’s emergency services, city council and health and social care providers in dealing with this tragic and exceptional event.”

Although the government had agreed to support Manchester following the attacks, no exact figure had been released until now.

The government said in November it would cover the full costs of dealing with the aftermath of attack.

The funding will “ensure all exceptional costs met by Manchester as a result of the attack are covered”, the government said in a statement.

Did you enjoy this article?

Top